Cropped pants have been a trend I have been following closely since they first hit the scene earlier this spring. Culottes can be a divisive – conjuering up images of eccentric runway looks or, conversely, little girls with the bowl hair cuts of my childhood. But, just like most things inspired by the 1970’s, culottes can be a refreshing update to a spring wardrobe.
Check out these amazing chain drop earrings from my talented friend and jewelry designer, Kirsty. If you are interested in a pair, an email may persuade her to make you these simple yet sophisticated danglers!
Culottes: Wilfred (sale!) | Top: Madewell (similar, similar) | Sandals: Eileen Fischer | Sunglasses: Polaroid | Earrings: Lucia K | Bracelets: Gorjana, Guitar String Bracelets | Purse: Auxiliary | Lipgloss: NARSBack to blogging – thanks for following along on this journey with me. Stay tuned for more to come. I’m always curious what you’re wearing, enjoying…questioning. Please leave a comment! ~Jenn
Shopping, for me, is like breathing. Some of my fondest memories include scouring discount racks with friends and waiting in line for hours for crazy flash sales (complete with trying things on in the middle of the store) with my mother and three sisters. Even as a little girl, I “styled” my aunt and routinely selected my dad’s tie. Yet, it wasn’t until fairly recently that I came to realize that shopping and putting together outfits was a skill that I possessed yet others found confusing and frustrating.
In an effort to share some of my tried and true techniques, below you will find a few tips to help you shop like a stylist:
- Be prepared. Before you venture out shopping, take inventory of your closet and make a list. A list will allow you to focus both your efforts and your budget. Also, pack snacks and a bottle of water. Hunger can create frustration and leave you feeling overwhelmed.
- Build relationships in your favorite stores. Make friends with sales people; they can help you find things, alert you to sales and membership programs, as well as introduce you to new brands. When you receive great service, ask for their names or cards. Likewise, when shopping online, always join mailing lists for your favorite sites. Lots of retailers reward their mailing lists with early access to sales and special promotions.
- Just try. How do you know you can’t wear culottes or pull off this season’s loose silhouettes without trying? And give it an honest effort – try a few versions of a style and create outfit pairings. For example, the cropped top of course looks scandalous with your low rise jeans…but, when paired with a high-waisted skirt, it could be your new look! Finally, when something ultimately doesn’t work, remember this motto: “It’s not me, it’s the clothes.” Moving on!
- Create “wish lists.” Many online retailers offer a “wish list” function that allows you to store items you may be considering purchasing. Likewise, when shopping in a store, take pictures with your phone. Wish lists not only allow you to better control your budget by eliminating impulse purchases, but they also help you create a more cohesive wardrobe by ensuring that all of your selections go together.
- Invest in accessories. It always amazes me how a bright pair of pumps can transform jeans and a simple tee into a going-out worthy look, or how a metallic clutch seems to go with just about everything. Don’t overlook the importance of a standout piece of jewelry, a luxe handbag, an amazing shoe, and a beautiful scarf. With even the most basic of staples, a few unique accessories can create a stylish wardrobe.
Please share any of your shopping techniques, I’m always looking to improve my game!
Thanks for reading and Happy Friday! ~Jenn
Hard to believe that I’m putting this in print, but lately I’ve grown tired of my jeans. While certainly a tried and true staple, sometimes I just need…a little more sophistication? Enter these wide-leg, cropped pants. A nod to the cropped trend yet not as dramatic as a true culoutte (which I’m also loving). Sophisticated yet trendy, I can get behind that!
These are the same pants featured in last Friday’s post about key peices for spring. A Nordstrom’s brand, they are an excellent value. And such a versatile pant, I bought two pairs…expect to see them in future posts!
Finally, a note on shoes. As mentioned previously, you need some height to elongate your legs when wearing wide-leg pants. Wide-legs (particularly cropped), can give the appearance of a short, wider leg-line. Therefore, a heel or wedge will not only make your legs appear longer but, also flatter your ankles peeking out from the bottom of your pants.
Thanks for reading! As always, all comments and questions welcome. ~Jenn
Linking up with The Pleated Poppy for “What I Wore Wednesday”…check it out!
Often times when searching for inspiration for my blog posts, I have to look no further than my own “wishlists” and shopping bags. Such is the case with my spring picks below, these pieces have all recently made a new home in my own closet or soon will be! A note on “wishlists” – these are a great way to shop online; pondering, budgeting, and creating your spring updates without pulling the trigger. Most retailers offer this function, some will even update you when wish-listed items are put on sale.
Oversized Denim Vest: Consider this to be the denim jacket’s summer cousin. I’m wearing mine the same way I would the jacket – over summer dresses or perfectly paired with destroyed jeans and a tee. Oversized rather than cropped is an awesomely updated silhouette and makes the vibe more relaxed.
Wide-Leg Cropped Pants: I loved these so much, I bought both colors. If you know me (or work with me), this may come as a surprise! But, these are that awesome. Stay tuned for a styling blog post next week! Cropped, wide-leg, and culoutte style pants are everywhere this spring. This style is so easy to dress up with a polished pump or make more casual with a wedge sandal. Always add height with a heel, particularly for any wide pant that hits anywhere between the knee and ankle. Also, be sure to tuck your shirt or wear something more cropped so that you are not overwhelmed by the volume.
Peep-Toe Bootie: As I stated in last week’s post, I’m obsessing over this bootie/sandal hybrid. Perfect for the office, as your foot is mostly covered-up, yet still a nod to the warming temperatures outside. There are so many amazing options out there currently; from a more structure bootie with only the peep toe to a more open, sandal-like sling back, the possibilities are endless. The booties below are a modest hybrid between the two (and are a new resident in my own closet!).
Mesh Sweater: Mesh and perforation are huge this spring as the sporty trend continues to be everywhere. Modestly pair this with a white cami or be more bold and wear a white bandeau. Keep it simple by sticking to an all-white look – a bright bandeau may be a bit much. This shirt could look awesome worn casually with a pair of denim cut-offs or dressed up with the wide-leg pants above (just be sure your cami is fitted when wearing with the voluminous pants).
Fringed Tote: This tote is a classic black design but made much more fun with the fringed tassels. I like a black bag for spring (particularly since I still wear so much black during the spring and summer); however, make sure that the shape and/or details are more relaxed so that it makes sense with the season’s looser silhouettes and lighter fabrics.
Swing Dress: This loose, “babydoll” silhouette is perfect for warmer spring and summer temperatures. The fitted cap sleeves still show skin as the dress skims away from the body in a classic swing style. The shorter style also shows off your shape, therefore the volume won’t overwhelm your figure.
Menswear-Inspired Shirt: A feminine take on menswear continues to be on-trend this spring. In particular, I love the pleated back detailing of this lightweight, blue and white striped shirt. Cuff the sleeves and dress up a pair of distressed jeans.
Sporty Sandal: The perfect sneaker/sandal hybrid for this tennis shoe obsessed gal! Comfort meets chic in this classic, urban design – I’m planning to wear these all summer.
Bright Bralette: Let some color peek out from under summer’s light-weight shirts, plus colorful lace straps peeking out from a tank are so much cuter than a functional nude bra strap! I’m loving Aerie’s bralettes – padded, push-up, and underwire versions…finally some support! And at a reasonable price range, you don’t have choose between your favorite colors.
I hope you enjoy reading these posts as much as I enjoy writing them. With the beginning of any new season, I feel inspired and refreshed by the new fashion hitting the stores. I hope that I have provided you with some inspiration as well. Thanks for reading! ~Jenn
PS. There’s still time to enter our amazing “Glam & Glow” Giveaway. Treat a deserving gal in your life to this awesome package valued at nearly $500!! Entry details here.